1. Accountability for Personal Information
Belmont House (BH) is responsible for personal information under its control and has designated an individual who is accountable for BH’s compliance.
The Director of Finance and Information Management will be the Privacy Officer. He/she will be responsible for the organization’s compliance with all privacy legislation.
2. Identifying Purposes for the Collection of Personal Information
At or before the time personal information is collected, BH will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected. The primary purposes are the delivery of direct patient care, the administration of the health care system, statistics and meeting legal and regulatory requirements.
3. Consent for the Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
4. Limiting Collection of Personal Information
The collection of personal information will be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by Belmont House Information will be collected by fair and lawful means.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention of Personal Information
Personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
6. Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
Personal information will be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary, for the purposes for which it is to be used.
7. Ensuring Safeguards for Personal Information
Security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information will protect personal information.
8. Openness about Personal Information Policies and Practices
BH will make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
9. Individual Access to Own Personal Information
Upon request, an individual will be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information and will be given access to that information. An individual will be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
10. Challenging Compliance with Belmont House’s Privacy Policies and Practices
An individual will be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with this policy to the Privacy Officer.